7 April 2014

The Road I’ve Taken

As you probably know, I cancelled our assistance dog training at the beginning of the year. Well, more like put it on hold. I was going through a rough patch and probably made a few wrong choices. But along came the day where I realized I missed having Sparkie tag along whenever I went anywhere. I still had Sparkie’s “in training” coat, which I was going to send back, but couldn’t bring myself to do it because it just seemed too final. So a few nights ago I put her coat on and we went into a mall in Dubbo. There was a travelator, which I wanted to avoid because Sparkie had only done one day on them about four months ago. But we couldn’t find a lift or stairs or anything, so up we went. And Sparkie only hesitated a tiny bit before jumping on! We went into Woolworths, brought some stuff, and then took the travelator back down. Sparkie acted like she’d been doing this stuff forever – she hadn’t forgotten a thing! So I emailed Hans, our trainer, saying we wanted back in, and that same day he responded and it’s official – we’re back to doing our Service Dog Training.

 

Hans is overseas right now so we have to wait for him to get back (in about two weeks) before we can discuss the next stage of our training, which worked out perfectly because I wanted to spend some time working on the same stuff as before anyway. Although right now, we’re in a tiny town that sports very few training options, so until we move to the next town, we’re playing fetch and going for walks.

IMG_8761IMG_8760IMG_8756IMG_8769IMG_8773IMG_8776

No comments:

Post a Comment