21 March 2012

Fire station!

Last time we were in Broken Hill, NSW, in November, I was always looking for excuses to walk/drive past the local fire station. So when we came through Broken Hill again this week, our walking track through town included walking past the fire station. And on Monday, we got to check out the fire truck! The firefighter was happy to show us around and we even got to SIT IN THE FIRE TRUCK!! It was so exciting. But kinda unfortunately, it happened something like this…

IMG_6989

I was sitting up on the back bed watching an episode of Emergency on the computer, when suddenly I heard bang! bang! bang! of feet hitting the steps at the front of the bus. Then thuds as whoever it was raced up the “hallway.” It was Chantel, eyes shining, practically bursting with excitement. “Guys, guys, guys! Come on, come on, you wanna see the fire truck?” she shouted, before turning and thundering back down the hallway. Jessica hit the pause button on the video and we exchanged confused looks. “Chantel, what happened? Chantel?” Bang! bang! bang! and she was out the door again. Jessica, Chana, and me scrambled off the bed and thundered after Chantel. I was first out the door and saw Mummy standing just outside the big roller doors of the fire station. And she wasn’t alone. She was with a firefighter. “Jess, did you shut the bus door?” I asked as Jessica joined me. Chana flew past us. “Nope,” came Jessica’s short reply. “Man, I hope Sparkie stays inside.” I couldn’t help getting excited though. We all filed in beside the fire truck and eagerly watched as the firefighter opened the door to it and asked us if we wanted to hop in. I couldn’t help grinning like a Cheshire cat as I climbed in. I was IN a fire truck! I also kinda lost my tongue, leaving Jessica to answer the questions. Apart from things like, “Yeah,” “Uh huh,” or nodding, I was pretty much silent the whole time. The firefighter showed us his helmet, some cool heat detecting thing-ummy, and then we all climbed out again. After a tour of all the equipment they use, the firefighter gave us a handful of balloons and temporary tattoos. And suddenly it was over. We thanked him and walked out of the station. I finally found my voice again. “Wasn’t that just awesome?! We got to sit in a REAL fire truck! How AWESOME is that, guys? A REAL fire truck! And we got to talk to a REAL firefighter in a REAL fire station!” And for the rest of the day, I pretty much talked about it non-stop.

IMG_6988

But in the rush, nobody thought to bring a camera. So the next day we parked nearby and took some photos while the doors were open. Hmm, I wonder when we can check out another one…

1 comment:

  1. Great writing Jasmine, I can actually feel like I was there with you, you have described the event so well and used heaps of great adjectives. Great to see the photos too even though they were taken after the event.

    ReplyDelete