17 January 2014

Carry On

We’re staying near a river, with friends, and in the afternoon Jessica came to get me for a swim, saying that they were going to swim across the river. Now, this is the Murrumbidgee River we’re talking about here; a wide, fast flowing, deep river. But who cared? Not me. After what Joy said to me, I was beyond caring about anything. That’s what depression can do. Anyway, after a few false starts, we finally took off across the river – Jessica, me, Chantel, Chana, and Edward (15) and Peter (12). We reached the other side, pulled ourselves onto the bank. It had been a long way, and we were all tired. I was all for taking a longer break, but the boys wanted to get back. We jumped back in, started swimming, and that’s when things went bad. For the full, extremely detailed story, read River Rescue. Don’t worry, we all survive. And we all learned our lesson – no more swimming across the Murrumbidgee!
2013-12-23 19.10.17
I also learned something else – life is too short to be depressed. If I’d died that day, I’d have died seething and bitter. I’d have died holding a grudge against somebody I’d never even met. Joy and Roy and all their circus friends are not worth that. I think all the sulky stuff got washed away down the river, because right now I feel better than I have all year.
life's too short

No comments:

Post a Comment